The Other Side of the Wall - Three-day course
The Other Side of the Wall is a three-day course which invites participants to experience and practise a variety of theatre and drama-based methods for use in groupwork.
In 2016, National Alliance for Arts in Criminal Justice members were asked which training courses they found to be impactful for the sector’s needs: 'Geese Theatre Company was mentioned five times as often as other providers. In particular, their ‘Other Side of the Wall’ course was listed as particularly valuable.' Mapping Training Needs for National Alliance for Arts in Criminal Justice (NAACJ) Members, September 2016
The focus of TOSOW is on exploring some of the basic principles behind the company’s use of drama with people in prison and community settings, offering workers effective and widely applicable techniques in order to:
- Cross over the ‘wall’ and explore with the prison group participants' experience of the world.
- Assist prison group participants in identifying patterns of behaviour and exploring new strategies for change.
- Identify and assist in the development of interpersonal skills.
- Create an environment where safe and relevant experiential learning can take place.
Participants will have an opportunity to learn and practice:
- How to conduct active exercises which can help to build group cohesion and raise discussion around key issues of offending behaviour.
- How to facilitate the creation of images and simple theatre performances which can be used to examine thoughts, feelings and behaviour.
- How to use exercises and scene work to facilitate skills training related to themes such as: victim awareness, conflict resolution and problem solving.
- Rapport building including; basic questioning techniques, encouraging participation and working with resistance.
We deliberately limit the number of participants to ten per course in order that everyone has the opportunity to try out for themselves the techniques they have been exploring and to practise integrating them into their own skills base. No previous drama or theatre experience is necessary, however a willingness to actively explore new methods of working is an essential requirement.
25th-27th September 2019
To find out more: download the course outline from the right-hand side of the page or contact us: email@example.com.
To book your place: please download the booking form on the right-hand side of the page and send over to us: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Bursary places are available on this course to anyone who has had direct personal (not professional) experience of the criminal justice system. To apply for these, please write explaining your interest in the training event to email@example.com.