The Other Side of the Wall
Who is the course for?
This three-day course is open to anyone who is interested in or has experience of working with offenders and young people at risk of offending. No previous drama experience is necessary. However a willingness to actively explore new methods of working is an essential requirement.
The course will invite participants to experience and practise a variety of drama based methods for use in groupwork. The focus will be on exploring some of the basic principles behind the company’s use of drama with offenders, offering workers effective and widely applicable techniques in order to:
- Cross over the ‘wall’ and explore with the offender their experience of the world.
- Assist the offender in identifying patterns of behaviour and exploring new strategies for change.
- Identify and assist in the development of interpersonal skills.
- Create an environment where safe and relevant experiential learning can take place.
Particular attention will be paid to how workers might integrate drama based methods into a cognitive behavioural approach, in accordance with current evidence based practice.
Participants will learn and practise:
- How to conduct active exercises which can help to build group cohesion and raise discussion around key issues of offending behaviour.
- How to facilitate the creation of frozen images and simple role plays which can be used to examine thoughts, feelings and behaviour.
- How to use exercises and scene work to facilitate skills training related to themes such as: victim awareness, conflict resolution and problem solving.
- Rapport building including; basic questioning techniques, encouraging participation and working with resistance.
Participants will have the opportunity to try out for themselves the techniques they have been exploring and to practise integrating them into their own skills base.
Number of participants:
Maximum number of participants on The Other Side of the Wall is ten.
6th - 8th March 2013 (CURRENTLY TAKING BOOKINGS)
Click here for the booking form (PDF), or email us
“An excellent three days – thank you!”
“I feel so much more confident and I am buzzing with ideas. I would love to do more training with Geese. Excellent!!!”
“Well facilitated, sensitive, humorous, interesting variety of methods used. Bloody marvellous!”
“This is the first training course I have been on where I have felt empowered to put the learning into practice. I’ve wanted to do this course for a long time and it was everything I’d hoped for and more!”
“Thank you very much for what you’ve given me. I will always remember the last three days and that is not something I’d usually say about a training course!”
"The best course I have ever been on!"
Participants from previous Geese training courses